8 Tips for Pursuing Your Passion
Lots of people have talked about pursuing your passion. You may have heard or read these quotes:
- “If you feel like there’s something out there that you’re supposed to be doing, if you have a passion for it, then stop wishing and just do it.” —Wanda Sykes
- “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” —Oprah Winfrey
- “If you can’t figure out your purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.” —Bishop T.D. Jakes
Pursuing your passion can be about your career, side hustle, or just what you want to do in your free time or as a hobby.
So, do you have a passion? Have you made a conscious effort to pursue it? Have you found what makes you excited? Or maybe you’re not quite sure what you’re passionate about – and it’s time to explore!
Here are some tips for pursuing your passion in order to make it a reality in your life.
- Decide on Where Your Interests Lie: Do you know what you are passionate about? Is there an area of your career where you’d like to focus your time and talents? Do you have a skill that you haven’t tapped into fully? Is there a hobby you’d like to explore more fully? When you figure out where your interests lie, you can narrow your scope and engage more proactively.
- Create a Plan: Nothing will get done without a plan. And yes, planning may not be extremely fun, but it will help you be successful with what you hope to accomplish – especially if your passion is tied to your career or finances.
- Keep Your Options Open: If you have a couple of things you feel passionate about – then why not keep your options open? This will allow you to pivot and change if things aren’t working out quite as planned.
- Reach Out to Others for Help: You’ve probably heard the expression “No man is an island,” – and it holds true for pursuing your passion. Don’t hesitate to reach out to others who may be doing what you want to do already or can offer you expertise. You’ll find that people are, usually, more than willing to help when they can.
- Be Conscious of Your Investment: You need to be conscious of your investment – whether it be in time, money, or energy. While you will probably need to expend some of each of these three things in the beginning, you don’t want pursuing your passion to become a drain of these things either. If you spend too much time, energy, or money – you might find yourself becoming bitter or disheartened – which is not what this should be about.
- Decide How You Will Measure Success: Yes, you’ll want a way to measure success. It could be monetary, but there may be other ways to measure it. Maybe it will be based on the interest you generate, or, perhaps, on personal growth. But decide on at least one way you can measure your progress and success.
- Know That There Will Be Challenges: There will definitely be challenges along the way. Don’t let those challenges deter you – providing you have the time, energy, and money to continue on. Instead, use them as chances to learn and grow.
- Be Patient with Yourself: Know that whatever you are pursuing is going to require you to be patient with yourself. Grant yourself a little grace as you move forward.
Pursuing your passion can be so fulfilling – and when you use these tips, it can also lead you to be very successful! Are you ready to get started?