It’s Time to Break These Bad Cleaning Habits
There’s a quote that says, “Happiness is a freshly cleaned house.” And, while this may be true, nobody really enjoys cleaning their home. It’s a chore. In fact, when it comes to cleaning your home, you may have even developed some bad habits. But don’t worry – you can quickly change these habits and make cleaning your place a little less painful.
- Using Too Much Cleaning Product: When it comes to cleaning, using more product is not going to make your home cleaner necessarily. Too much soap can damage washing machines and dishwashers. Certain products, when used in excess, can damage your flooring. You want to be careful with how much product you use.
- Ignoring the Product Directions: You also want to be sure to read the directions – especially if you’re trying a new product or using it in a new area of your home. Take the time to read the instructions and see what the manufacturer has to say about recommended use.
- Using Dirty Cleaning Tools: Dirty sponges, dirty cleaning rags, and dirty mops are not going to help you get your home clean just because you dump some cleaning products on them. All you’re going to do is spread the dirt and germs. Make sure your cleaning tools are clean.
- Not Cleaning in a Timely Manner: Lots of people wait until their home is extremely dirty before they clean. This is not the best way to go. Letting the mess get out of control can allow stains to set. Additionally, it can affect your health, as germs and bacteria can be allowed to spread in your home. Set a cleaning schedule and stick to it.
- Dusting Last: What happens if you dust last? You just spread dust onto your already clean floors. Dust first so that you can vacuum or mop up dust on your floors.
- Keeping Clutter in the Closet: When you need to pick up your place quickly, what do you do? Do you go around and grab as much as you can and then throw it in the closet? Out of sight, out of mind, right? But, soon enough, your closet just becomes a place for clutter. Keep your closets clean and organized – and filled with only the things you need.
- Not Making Your Bed: This may not seem like an important daily task; after all, who’s really going to see your unmade bed? But studies have shown that those who make their beds tend to keep their bedrooms cleaner. So, start your day right – and make your bed.
- Letting Dirty Dishes Sit in the Sink: It may seem harmless to leave your dirty dishes in the sink, but think again. If you leave your dishes sitting there, they become a breeding ground for bacteria – or even insects. Take the time to wash them by hand or put them in the dishwasher.
- Not Cleaning Your Refrigerator Regularly: Your refrigerator deserves regular cleaning. It can also be a breeding ground for bacteria – especially with spilled items or leftovers that stay a little too long. Additionally, you want to check expiration dates on products and throw them away as necessary.
- Letting Stains Sit: If you’ve ever spilled something and said, “I’ll clean it up later,” you know what a big mistake this can be. Don’t let spills and stains sit as they can permanently ruin furniture, flooring, and other things in your home.
Are you guilty of any of these bad habits? If you are, now’s the time to break them and make your home even cleaner. You’ll be happy you did.