Plan the Perfect Picnic
There’s nothing quite like a picnic in the park on a warm, sunny day. It’s the perfect way to enjoy good food and company outdoors. However, if you want your picnic to be a smashing success, you need to plan ahead. Here are some tips on what to bring, where to go, and how to make sure your picnic is enjoyable for everyone involved!
- Choose a location: When planning a picnic, the first thing you need to do is decide where you want to go. If you’re picnicking in your own backyard, that’s great! But if you’re planning on going to a park or another location, be sure to research the area ahead of time. You’ll want to make sure there are picnic tables available and that the park is open to picnickers.
- Additionally, you may want to check what other amenities are available. Some parks have grills you can use, and if you’re bringing kids, check if there is a playground.
- Of course, you want to bring some delicious food: The most important part of any picnic is the food! You’ll want to bring enough for everyone, and make sure it’s something that can be easily packed and doesn’t require refrigeration (or can remain cold in your cooler). Finger foods like sandwiches, fruit, and chips are always a good idea. Of course, if you have a grill available to you, you may go with hot dogs and hamburgers or even steak and veggie skewers.
- Don’t forget the drinks! Water is always a necessity, but you might also want to bring some lemonade or iced tea.
- If you need some food ideas, take a look at these recipes:
- Pinwheel Sandwiches: Bake It With Love has all sorts of ideas for pinwheel sandwiches! These are so fun and can be prepared ahead! Plus, no utensils are needed!
- Ultimate Chicken Salad: If you’re packing a cooler, then consider making this Ultimate Chicken Salad. You’re going to love the grapes, celery, and almonds in this recipe, and it’s fantastic on a croissant!
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers: All the colors of the rainbow are in this healthy treat! And it’s another food that’s easy to eat because it’s on a stick! (Food on a stick just tastes better, doesn’t it?)
- Cowboy Caviar: This recipe is fabulous because it can be used as a dip with some tortilla chips or as a salad/side dish with sandwiches!
- The Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie: Who doesn’t like chocolate chip cookies? This recipe by Alton Brown is the perfect mix of chewy and crispy!
- Remember the essentials: With food and drinks taken care of, it’s time to focus on other essentials. Make sure you have napkins, plates, and utensils for everyone. You’ll also need a blanket or two to sit on and insect repellent if you’re picnicking in an area with mosquitoes. If you’ll be there after dark, consider bringing a lantern or candles.
- Don’t forget the entertainment: A Frisbee or ball is always a good idea, and you can never go wrong with some good old-fashioned games like tag or hide-and-seek. If you’ve got a competitive group attending, consider packing cornhole. And keeping a deck of cards around is never a bad idea.
- Bring trash bags: This will make cleanup easy – especially if you’re heading somewhere off the beaten path. You always want to carry out whatever trash you bring in.
Now that you know how to plan the perfect picnic, all that’s left to do is enjoy! So gather your friends, family, or that special someone, and head outdoors for a picnic you’ll never forget. Bon appetit!