Simple Ways to Lead a Happier Life
On a scale of 1-10, how happy are you?
How happy would you like to be?
No matter where you fall on the scale, there’s always room to add more digits.
Who’s to say your happiness can’t go off the charts?
However, happiness just doesn’t happen on its own. There needs to be some effort on your part.
“Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions.” – Dalai Lama
What can you do to create happiness?
Find what you love and do it.
- Whether it’s a hobby or a job, make sure to spend your time doing something you enjoy
- What’s your passion?
- Do you have any idea? If not, there are so many possibilities – think of the fun you’ll have finding it
- Did you let it go by the wayside? If so, get it back! It’s never too late to enjoy doing something you love.
Make sure your work-life balance is actually in balance.
“Happiness is a state of mind. It’s just according to the way you look at things.” – Walt Disney
Is your glass half-full or half-empty? Put a positive spin on it.
- Be thankful and show gratitude
- Turn a negative situation or thought into a positive one
- Focus on the parts of your life that bring you happiness
- You control how you react to any given situation
Live in the moment and practice mindfulness.
“If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.” – Roy T. Bennett
Think of others.
“The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer someone else up.” – Mark Twain
- By helping others, you receive joy, as well
- Build healthy relationships by removing toxic people and surrounding yourself with friends and loved ones that support you
- Reach out to your friends from the past and reminisce over happy memories – enjoy reliving the good ol’ days
- Smile at others, and they will smile back – see how many people you can make smile in one day
- Give a genuine compliment to a stranger or a friend
- Volunteer your time
- Be giving
- Be grateful – spend time counting your blessings
- Hug someone
- Be a good listener
- Visit and play with animals at a shelter
Take care of your body.
- Eat well
- Get a good night’s sleep
- Breathe deeply
- Move more
- Drink plenty of water
- Take advantage of the benefits of nature
- Manage stress and anxiety
- Get rid of your phone and social media – unplug for a day or a weekend and enjoy some peace
Don’t Let Anyone Tell You Different.
- Nobody is perfect
- Everyone makes mistakes
- Nobody is happy all the time
- People don’t actually have the perfect life they portray on social media
- Be yourself
- Life’s not a competition
- You do you
A win’s a win
- Celebrate the big things and the little things, especially the little things – there seems to be a lot more of them
- One of the hardest things to do
- It’s in our nature to protect ourselves
- But – “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Reflect on who you need to forgive. Is it someone close to you? Or maybe yourself?
- As difficult as it is to do, the relief, peace, and freedom you feel after is worth it
Don’t worry, be happy.
- When all else fails, sing and dance
Remember, no one is in charge of your happiness, except you.
“Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.” – Mahatma Gandhi