Keep Your Hair Healthy
What’s the current condition of your hair? Has it taken a beating with the summer heat and humidity and time in the pool? Do you wish it was looking and feeling better?
But there are some definite things you can do to keep your hair healthy and bring back that shine that you love.
- Choose the Right Brush: If you’ve ever been down the hair care aisle in your local store, you know there are a lot of choices when it comes to brushes. And if you don’t choose the right one for your hair, you can end up doing additional damage to it.
- Provide Your Hair With Hydration: Just like you, your hair can get dehydrated – and yes, drinking water does help. But in addition to that you can:
- Use a moisturizing shampoo
- Deep condition your hair on a regular basis
- Avoid styling tools such as curling irons and blow dryers when possible
- Pick the Right Products: When you were younger, you might not have paid much attention to the products you were using on your hair. Any old shampoo seemed to work. But as you age, your hair changes, and you need to pick products that are right for your hair. Take the time to read what each product offers and think about asking your stylist for recommendations if you’re not sure.
- Avoid Towel Drying: What harm could a soft towel actually do to your hair? Well, you might be surprised. If you use a towel to dry your hair by forcefully rubbing your wet hair on the towel, you can cause breakage and hair loss. Instead, section off your hair and pat it dry to avoid damage.
- See Your Stylist Regularly: You often go to your doctor or dentist for checkups to prevent issues. A trip to your stylist is like a checkup for your hair. They can make recommendations, check your hair’s health, and take a look at your scalp, too.
- Eat a Well-Balanced Diet: You’ve heard the saying, “You are what you eat” – and it applies to your hair, too. Eating a well-balanced diet will help your hair to have all of the vitamins and nutrients it needs to be healthy.
- Protect It From Sun Damage: You know what the sun can do to your skin, but have you thought about what it can do to your hair? Just like your skin, you need to protect it. Here are a few suggestions:
- Buy specific products which can protect your hair from sun damage
- Wear a hat or scarf to cover your hair and scalp
- Don’t go outside during peak sun hours
- Wear a swim cap
- Watch the Ponytail Holders: If you have long hair, you probably put it up in a ponytail occasionally – maybe even more in the summer when you want your hair off of your neck. But be careful with your ponytail holders as they can cause hair damage. Oprah Daily shares some of their faves.
- Sleep on Silk Pillowcases: Sleeping on a silk pillowcase is good for your hair as it can lessen the damage done from tossing and turning and absorb oils your hair secretes.
- Pay Attention to Your Scalp: Last but not least, don’t forget to pay attention to your scalp. Watch for dryness and flaking and have a professional check out any cysts or bumps that develop.
Taking care of your hair does take some effort, but with these tips, you’ll have your locks looking great in no time at all.