What to Do With That Unwanted Gift
It’s inevitable. Someone who meant well ended up giving you something that you don’t know what to do with. Of course, it’s the thought that counts, but when it comes down to it, you still want something that you like. There are a few things that you can do with an unwanted gift.
- Sell: Even if you don’t love it, maybe someone else will find enough value in it to buy it. In order to sell it, make sure it’s never been used before and in pristine condition. Figure out how much it is worth, so you have an idea how much to set the price for. Post it on a local website like Facebook Marketplace, eBay, or even Amazon. Post pictures of the item, and wait for someone to snatch it up.
- Re-Gift: Maybe you don’t love the item that you were given, but someone else in your life would. Wrap it up still in the packaging, and give it to another friend. Make sure that the person you are re-gifting to isn’t close to the person who originally gave it to you. You don’t want that awkward moment where your re-gift is called out.
- Return: If you have an idea of where the item came from, see if you can return it for money or store credit. Honesty is usually the best policy, even when it come to gifts. If you know the person well, let them know that you appreciate the thought, but you’d like to return it for something that you would get more use out of. They might be momentarily sad, but overall, they want their money to not go to waste. They’d rather see you enjoy what you want.
- Donate: Give it to a local charity or donation center for a non-profit to enjoy. It would be better for someone in need to have it, rather than let it sit abandoned in a closet. You can give it to a hospital for children to play with, or you can give it to a local Salvation Army to give a family in need an opportunity to afford Christmas.
- Repurpose It: Get creative with the gift and create a new purpose for it. You can transform something you wouldn’t use into a loved belonging by making some small changes or tweaks.
- Swap It: If you were at a gift exchange and you received something that you aren’t crazy about, then maybe someone else at the party feels the same. Bargain with the person who has a gift that you do want to see if they would be open to doing a gift swap with you. That way, everyone gets something that they want.
Christmas is about showing your love and appreciation for each other, and usually it’s expressed in a way of gift giving. It’s not about the gifts, but you also don’t want to be wasteful, either. Figure out a tactful way to use the gifts that you receive to keep the spirit of Christmas alive.